No more steel-making in UK?
/
0 Comments
In my last post, I covered the possibility that China could build an
infrastructure of energy renewables for $50 trillion. This elicited a
comment from the ever-perceptive Mike who wrote:
The loser mentality that provided the "rationale" for deindustrialization mostly came from the Brits. Remember those Wall Street geeks who wore their Adam Smith ties and preached the "virtues" of "free trade"? I am so proud of Tony who keeps trying to educate the rest of us on the difference between the American System of economics and the classical forms that come from the UK. And now we see that that they are even going to lose their ability to make steel from ore. It is encouraging to see there are still Brits for whom this matters, but mostly I hear them as voices in the wilderness. As someone who has spent most of his life crying about the loss of USA's industrial muscle from the wilderness, I know how frustrating it can be.
(Update) Apparently there have been a few emergency levers pulled and it looks like what remains of UK's steel industry may gain a short-term reprieve. Isn't sentimentality great! This won't fix the problems caused by two generations of under-investment, but hey, it gives the Indian owners something to play with.
Note the complete absence of European and American companies—As someone who grew up in the 1950s and 60s, I find it difficult to remember that I now live in a country that has lost the ability to even make its own shoes. So for those younger than me who have only been exposed to USA the incompetent, let me remind you that this was once a nation where almost nothing was impossible. There was once a time when we could swagger with accomplishment and not appear ridiculous.
"Beijing’s network will be the world’s biggest infrastructure project, if given the green light. The State Grid has already signed a memorandum of understanding with the Russian energy grid Rosseti, Korea’s Electric Power and SoftBank Group of Japan."
—because this is what the denial of the future does, it makes us losers in participating in the future economic boom that began with the oil embargo in the 70s, wherein American participation ended when Reagan removed the solar panels off the White House and persists to this day with distracting discussions of political will.
The loser mentality that provided the "rationale" for deindustrialization mostly came from the Brits. Remember those Wall Street geeks who wore their Adam Smith ties and preached the "virtues" of "free trade"? I am so proud of Tony who keeps trying to educate the rest of us on the difference between the American System of economics and the classical forms that come from the UK. And now we see that that they are even going to lose their ability to make steel from ore. It is encouraging to see there are still Brits for whom this matters, but mostly I hear them as voices in the wilderness. As someone who has spent most of his life crying about the loss of USA's industrial muscle from the wilderness, I know how frustrating it can be.
(Update) Apparently there have been a few emergency levers pulled and it looks like what remains of UK's steel industry may gain a short-term reprieve. Isn't sentimentality great! This won't fix the problems caused by two generations of under-investment, but hey, it gives the Indian owners something to play with.